7 Days Machame Route Itinerary
Arrive in Arusha: We stay at the hotel which will be booked as preferable and it’s a perfect place to prepare you for adventure. We will gather in the evening at 5:30 pm for a pre-climb briefing and an equipment check as per climbing gear list http://kilimanjaronaturetours.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Kilimanjaro-Gear-List.pdf.
Day 1: Machame Gate to Machame Hut
The climb starts from machame gate (1830m), we walk through the lush lower slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro. Slowly gaining altitude while enjoying the diverse flora and fauna of the rain forest, you will arrive to the first Machame Hut, situated at 3000m above sea level If is a clear day we may get our first closer look at the glaciated dome of Kibo if the evening clouds permit.
Machame Gate to Machame Hut (3,000 m): 5-7 hours walking.
- 6,000 ft / 1,830 m to 10,200 ft / 3,100 m.
- Distance: 11 km.
- Hiking Time: 5-7 hours.
- Habitat: Montane Forest.
- Full Board at Machame Hut Camp.
Day 2: Machame Camp to Shira cave Camp.
A shorter day climbing up a steep ridge to reach a small semicircular cliff known as Picnic site, and continue up a gentler ascent through the lower alpine moorland, which is known for beautiful wild alpine flowers. The most spectacular views of Kibo peak can be seen from Shira Camp.
Machame Hut to Shira Camp (3,840m): 4-6 hours walking.
- 10,200 ft / 3,100 m to 12,600 ft / 3,840 m.
- Distance: 9 km.
- Walking Time: 4-6 hours.
- Habitat: Moorland.
- Full Board Shira Cave Camp.
Day 3: Shira Camp to Lava Tower to Barranco Valley.
Today we walk on a gentle ascent and panoramic views. We traverse the southwest side of Kilimanjaro, passing underneath the Lava Tower and the final section of the Western Breach and after hot lunch the bottom of the Lava Tower (4,600 m.) we descend to the bottom of the Great Barranco valley (3,950 m.).
Shira Camp to Barranco Camp (3,950 m.): 5-7 hours walking.
- 12,600 ft / 3,840 m to 12,700 ft / 3,860 m.
- Distance: 15 km.
- Walking Time: 5-7 hours
- Habitat: Semi-desert.
- Full Board Barranco Camp.
Day 4: Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
A steep climb up the eastern wall leads us just below the Heim Glacier, where we may have some spectacular views of Kilimanjaro. We then take a steep exit up the Great Barranco Wall, which divides us from the southeastern slopes of Kibo, the trail continues down into the alpine desert of the Karanga Valley, finally we have a steep climb up to Karanga Camp
Barranco Camp to Karanga camp (4,050 m): 4-5 hours walking.
- 12,700 ft / 3,860 m to 13,800 ft / 4,050 m.
- Distance: 5 km.
- Hiking Time: 4 hours.
- Habitat: Alpine Desert.
- Full Board Karanga Camp.
Day 5: Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp.
A steep climb out of Karanga, and an easy path on compacted scree with wide views through this empty and dry landscape up to Barafu Camp. The two peaks Kibo and Mawenzi can been seen from Barafu Camp. After a hot lunch at the Camp, The remainder of the day is spent resting as we prepare for the final ascent before an early night summit walk.
Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp (4,600 m.); 3-4 hours walking.
- 13,800 ft / 4,200 m to 15,100 ft / 4,600 m
- Distance: 6 km
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert
- Full Board Barafu Hut Camp
Day 6: Barafu Camp to Summit to Mweka Camp .
Wake up before midnight in the cover of darkness. We begin a steep climb over loose volcanic scree has some well-graded zig-zags and a slow but steady pace will take us to rim of the main crater, Stella Point, at 5,735m. We will rest there for few minutes to enjoy the sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling good can continue slowly to make the two hour round trip from here along the crater rim to main peak (5,895 m), which is the highest point in Africa. After a few minutes to appreciate your accomplishment we descend to Barafu is amazingly fast, and we stop at Barafu Camp for some refreshment, we continue to descend to reach Mweka Camp.
Barafu Camp to Mweka Camp (3100 m): 13-15 hours walking.
- 15,100 ft / 4,600 m to 19,300 ft / 5,895 m
- 19,300 ft / 5,895 m to 10,200 ft / 3,100 m
- Distance: 7 km ascent / 23 km descent
- Hiking Time: 6-8 hours ascent / 7-8 hours descent
- Habitat: Stone scree and ice-capped summit
- Full board at Mweka Camp.
Day 7: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Arusha
A gentle walk takes us down through the rainforest to Mweka gate successful climbers will receive their summit certificates. After lunch we drive back to Arusha to the hotel.
Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate: 3-4 hours walking.
- 10,200 ft / 3,100 m to 6,000 ft / 1,830 m.
- Distance: 15 km.
- Hiking Time: 3-4 hours.
- Habitat: Forest.
- Half Board.
Day 8 Departure day:
After saying bye to our team in operation then you need a Private departure transfer which is included from Arusha to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) for your flight ,unless you have an option to have Safari or any other option we will discuss. – contuct us at email@example.com
Book This Tour!
- Quality, waterproof, four-season private mountain sleeping tents:
- Professional, experienced, mountain guides:
- All Park fees
- Rescue fees
- All meals while on the Mountain
- Guides, Porters, cook salaries and park fees
- Quality Mess tents with table and chairs
- Large portions of fresh, healthy nutritious food
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Crisis management and safety procedures
- Fair and ethical treatment of porters
Items not included:
- Airport transfers
- Accommodation in Arusha
- Tanzania Visa
- Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Meals not listed above
- Optional Tours (short safari after your climb etc)